Most of the trees on our Tree Farm are Mahogany. Specifically, they are the species swietenia macrophylla. In the world of wood, there are a variety of Mahogany species, and all of them are highly valued. But swietenia macrophylla is simply the BEST!
Some facts about swietenia macrophylla:
- It is one of two species that yields genuine mahogany timber.
- It is also known as Brazilian mahogany, Honduras mahogany, genuine mahogany, and tropical American mahogany, among others.
- It has a reddish-brown color, which darkens over time, and displays a reddish sheen when polished.
- It is a favorite for fine furniture, musical instruments, interior panelling, architectural trim, hardwood flooring, and a range of luxury products such as jewelry boxes.
- In recent years, swietenia macrophylla has been introduced into several Asian countries in plantation environments. The mahogany timber grown in these Asian plantations is now the major source of international trade in genuine mahogany. Unlike mahogany sourced from its native locations, plantation mahogany grown in Asia is not restricted in trade.
Read more about Mahogany and swietenia macrophylla by clicking these links: